Sunday, February 11, 2007

 

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that Sting?

Madscribe:
Wow, if I had known that The Police were reuniting, I might have actually given a hoot about this year's Grammy Awards! The last time I actually sat through the Grammy Awards---1987---I was treated to the wonderful impromptu acceptance speech by Little Richard.

My joy at a Police-reunion, however, has nothing to do with a certain Rain Forest-friendly blonde blowhard. Personally, I find Sting to be a crappy singer and a piss-poor bassist. Every lyric of a Sting song screams, "Look at me! I 'm smart!! I READ STUFF!!" Were it not for the presence of some of the most talented jazz musicians of the 1980s (Omar Hakim, Branford Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland), I wouldn't have even bothered with his first two solo albums, Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like the Sun.

Nope. The greatest musician in that band (ahem) was, and always will be, Stewart Copeland. That's who I'll be looking forward to seeing, if the tour winds it way to my area. Guitarist Andy Summers is also musically light years ahead of Sting. My all-time favorite Police song, the Copeland-penned "Bombs Away"

The President looks in the mirror and speaks
His shirts are clean but his country reeks
Unpaid bills
Afghanistan hills

Unfortunately there's no video for the song, but it would have been appropriate for this evening's show (and better than Dixie Chicks politics).

Labels: ,


Bookmark and Share


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Web raggedthots.blogspot.com
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Technorati search
Search Now:
Amazon Logo
  •  RSS
  • Add to My AOL
  • Powered by FeedBurner
  • Add to Google Reader or Homepage
  • Subscribe in Bloglines
  • Share on Facebook