Sunday, August 05, 2007

 

Arresting Development

Yeah, a black man in New York who can say he survived an encounter with The Police -- and came away with a smile on his face! (Yeah, yeah, cheap shot, I know, but I wasn't reaching for my wallet, so it's OK!)

Seriously, I saw Sting, Stewart and Andy at Madison Square Garden Friday night and had a great time. Of course, the tickets were ridiculously overpriced, but the band was very tight! I would have to say that time has been least kind to drummer Stewart Copeland, which is interesting since guitarist Andy Summers at 64(!!) is the group's oldest member!

It struck me as I was leaving that seeing The Police on their reunion tour, 21 years after they formally broke up is the chronological equivalent of mythically seeing The Beatles back on tour -- in
1991!

My personal highlight was this song (clip taken from the Boston show), the unofficial anthem of my college freshman class (well, for some of us, anyway):



My only disappointment was that they didn't play this song live (off of my favorite Police album, Ghost In The Machine):



UPDATE: Of course, when it comes to "Demolition Man", one can't ignore one of the rare examples where a cover artist just completely stole the song from the original and made it their own. This is one of those cases. Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Grace Jones:

Labels:


Bookmark and Share


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Web raggedthots.blogspot.com
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Technorati search
Search Now:
Amazon Logo
  •  RSS
  • Add to My AOL
  • Powered by FeedBurner
  • Add to Google Reader or Homepage
  • Subscribe in Bloglines
  • Share on Facebook