Monday, August 11, 2008

 

Into RAG's iPod: "Suffragette City

So, this summer, I'm becoming reacquainted with my Ipod. For one thing, I lost my old 30G filled -one several months ago and I purchased an 80G.

The larger capacity made me realize I could be less judicious about what from my rather huge CD collection would go into my Ipod. Furthermore, transferring iTunes from my computer hard drive to an external drive also freed up important computer space (though created a glitch here and there).

In any event, this old DJ is immersing himself into the music again. One ever-expanding playlist is what I call "Love At First Sound." It's the songs that I've loved from the very first minute I heard them. And, when I say "loved", I mean it. These are songs that I would race to crank up the radio when they came on or I would play over and over again when I bought them on record or CD. Or they would become a signature song of mine at college coffee shop parties. They span the spectrum from '60s rock to '70s pop to heavy metal to disco to punk to New Wave to hip-hop and more.

Some are from childhood, many from high school and college, but there are couple from just the last decade. Most of them are uptempo, but a few are a bit slower or mellower. Some were huge hits, but a few qualify as obscure. Right now, the list is at 38, but it will grow as more come to mind.

Anyway, I decided to share some of my all-time faves on a regular basis here at RT, ably assisted with the sizeable collection that is YouTube.

We begin, for no particular reason, with my all-time favorite Bowie tune. I first heard this at St. John's College, though I don't remember if it was hearing it in a dorm or at a coffee shop party. The best way to hear this song, of course, is on the The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars album, just for the great contrast and shift from the mid-tempo title track, "Ziggy Stardust" and the guitar-driven frenzy of this song:


Labels: , ,


Bookmark and Share


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Web raggedthots.blogspot.com
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Technorati search
Search Now:
Amazon Logo
  •  RSS
  • Add to My AOL
  • Powered by FeedBurner
  • Add to Google Reader or Homepage
  • Subscribe in Bloglines
  • Share on Facebook